Driver License (DL) and Identification Card (ID) Information

CA state Drivers License (DL) 

To apply for an original driver license if refugees are over 18, they will need to make an appointment before visiting a DMV office (walk-ins are only accepted at the Driver License Processing Centers).

Identification Card (ID) 

DMV issues ID cards to persons of any age. The ID card looks like a driver license, but is used for identification purposes only.

Reduced-fee ID card

Refugees may pay a reduced application fee for an original or renewal identification card because they meet income requirements from a public assistance program. The governmental or non-profit program will give them a completed Verification for Reduced Fee Identification Card form (DL 937) to take to DMV to apply for their reduced fee identification card.