ESL Tutors Purpose: World Relief matches volunteers with opportunities tutoring English in order to serve those who may not have access to appropriate learning resources due to financial, geographical, familial, or other constraints. ESL Tutors help refugees improve their English and prepare them for self-sufficiency in the United States.
- Assist non-native speakers in learning the basics of the English language.
- Work one-on-one in a refugee's home, or as arranged.
- Work alongside ESL Manager to tailor instruction to individual student requirements.
- Communicate consistently with ESL Manager and Volunteer Coordinator about refugee needs.
- Ability to tutor / assist on a consistent basis (minimum commitment of 3 months, twice a week).
- Sensitivity to persons of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- High degree of patience, understanding, and flexibility.
- Attend “ESL EQUIP Training” training within 1 month of starting service.
- Record and report monthly volunteer hours served, as detailed in the Volunteer Interview.
- Pass Federal Background Check
- NO previous ESL experience or TEFL/TESOL certification required.
The first step in becoming a WRS Volunteer is to attend one of our monthly Volunteer Information Sessions (VIS). These sessions are meant to give you an introduction into refugee resettlement and volunteer opportunities. After attending the information session, all volunteers must meet with the Volunteer Coordinator, complete an application and background checks.