Naturalization Eligibility Requirements
Before an individual applies for naturalization, he or she must meet a few requirements. Depending on the individual’s situation, there are different requirements that may apply. General requirements for naturalization are below.
· Be at least 18 years old at the time of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
· Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years.
· Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you apply.
· Demonstrate continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.
· Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.
· Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.
· Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).
· Be a person of good moral character.
· Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution.